A new year, a new endeavor!

Welcome to Those Yarn Hookers! I created this blog for several reasons. To have a place to post my crochet patterns for the world to see; a place to write my musings, share my favorite memes, and discuss yarning; but most of all, to share my love and passion for crochet!

My Mom was an avid crocheter, among other things. She tried to teach me several times while I was growing up, but I never had that “aha!” moment, and could never do more than a chain.

A few years ago, my husband was away from home (an out of town trip with friends that I couldn’t attend due to work, I think), and I was feeling extra depressed and missing my mom. Somehow, I had ended up at the Joann website, and was browsing crochet stuff. A few clicks later, I had some yarn, hooks, and a For Dummies (my favorite books for learning anything!) book ordered.

A couple of weeks later, we were out for a yarning and coffee date with some friends, and it happened. The “aha!” moment where everything came together. Once I had my breakthrough, I took off like gangbusters, and never looked back.

It didn’t take me long to actually make things. I started off with simple coasters for my coworkers. Then, I taught myself to make hats after finding a pattern on Ravelry, but finding that the sizes in the pattern were not quite right for adults. So, I found a similar pattern somewhere else, and did my own write-up and variations.

A month later, I surprised my husband with a Minion Hat, one of his most cherished possessions, and probably the best gift he had ever received. Funny thing is I made it right in front of him, ripping it apart a more than once, and he never had any idea!

I tried other patterns I found on the internet, learning new techniques with each one. A year later, I started my 1st really big project, a queen size afghan for my bed, that took me about a year to finish (partly due to a needed break because of Phoenix summers).

I find that I am constantly learning as I try new patterns. If I find something isn’t working, I’ve learned to tweak things to get the desired result. I have even started rewriting a bottom-up hat pattern I found on another blog as a top-down hat.

My latest accomplishment is definitely recreating the last afghan that my Mom made. I am very pleased with the results, even if slightly different from hers.

Check back soon, and until next time, keep on hooking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celtic Knot Filet

Uh oh!